Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video About numeric types, part of SQL Essential Training.
…SQL data types are entirely platform dependent.…The data types that are available on one database management system are almost…guaranteed to be different than the data…types available on another database management system.…This also means that the numeric functions are going to have differences.…Sometimes, the difference will be subtle, and sometimes, they will be significant.…The functions presented in this chapter will give you…an idea of how numeric functions work in SQL.…But they may work differently on your system and there will…certainly be many functions that are specifically suited to your system.…
There are two basic categories of numeric…types, for representing integers and real numbers.…There will likely be many variations of these…types on a full featured database management system.…These types may be spelled differently and use different terminology…but the integer types will mostly fall into these three categories.…Integers are whole numbers that have no fractional part.…There may be a precision option to specify…
- Understanding SQL terminology and syntax
- Creating new tables and records
- Inserting and updating data
- Writing basic SQL queries
- Sorting and filtering
- Accessing related tables with JOIN
- Working with strings
- Finding the numeric type of a value
- Using aggregate functions and transactions
- Updating a table with triggers
- Creating views
Skill Level Beginner
Q: For Mac OS X: When I try to start the Apache Web Server from the XAMPP control panel, it doesn't start, and when I open "localhost" in my web browser, I see a white screen that says "It Works!" instead of the XAMPP page.
sudo apachectl stop
Q: I'm on a Mac, and I get an error in SID that says "attempt to write a read only database." How can I fix this?
A: This usually means that the database folder does not have sufficient permissions for writing by the web user. This can happen if you create the SQL folder new, rather than copying it from the Exercise Files. Here's how to fix this:
- Open a Finder window and Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/SQL
- Control-click on the SQL folder and select "Get Info" from the context menu.
- Under "Sharing and Permissions" (you may need to open the disclosure triangle), in the "everyone" row, select "Read & Write."Then you can close the Info window.
- Now repeat the process for the three *.db files inside the folder.
1. SQL Quick Start
Understanding joins2m 23s
Dates and times1m 59s
10. Subselects and Views
11. A Simple CRUD Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.