Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Why version control?, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- [Instructor] Now that we have a basic understanding…of what DevOps is, and why it applies to databases,…let's start drilling into the mechanics…on how we're going to set up a DevOps process…with Team Foundation Server 2018.…In this module, we're going to look at why version control?…We'll then talk about tracking your work,…and then we're going to drill into…the two types of version control that are available,…with Team Foundation Server.…We're going to talk about Team Foundation Version Control,…as well as Git.…We'll then look at how you actually version control…your SQL Server database.…
We'll talk about branching and merging,…and we'll look at how you do local deployments…from your version control database.…And finally, we'll talk about…dealing with drift and explain what that means.…So why version control?…Well, sadly, when I recorded this video,…it's 2018, and I still run into people…that don't use version control.…Folks, there's no excuse.…First of all, there are a rich set…of products out there for free.…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps with Visual Studio Team Services (2017)with Paul Hacker1h 12m Intermediate
Learning Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Jose Miguel Rady Allende1h 17m Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.