Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Why test?, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- In this chapter, we're going to talk…about testing your database.…We're first going to look at why test…and what makes testing databases different.…We'll discuss good test data, how you can test locally,…from within visual studio and other environments…and also, we'll talk about testing as part of release.…So, why test?…I mean, really, do we need to even question this?…I mean, fundamentally, it's because humans write software…and humans make mistakes.…Testing helps us find the defects that can show up…in our applications and our code before it gets…in production and affects our customers, the bottom line.…
And so, our goal is to test sooner than later.…Now, we think about testing databases and particularly…we think about testing at the developer experience,…we're thinking about unit testing.…But testing database objects without data…isn't very interesting.…We need to shape our tests around the data…that could be there.…And this really creates different levels of testing…when we think about testing a database…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps with Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Paul Hacker1h 12m Intermediate
Learning Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Jose Miguel Rady Allende1h 17m Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.