Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Why release management?, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- In this chapter, we're going to…look at how we take our database,…and deploy it into production, tests,…and our shared development environment.…We're going to first discuss, why release management?…We'll talk about the mechanics of agent and…pipelines and how they apply to…this particular feature of Team Foundation Server.…We'll talk about a new feature for doing releases in…Team Foundation Server 2018 called deployment groups.…And then we'll actually get to the details of…deploying a database to SQL server.…And then we'll wrap up with continuous deployment.…
The why of release management is really straightforward.…When you do manual deployments,…you have a chance of screwing up.…As a presenter I go and speak in front of…people and I'll ask the audience members,…"how many of you do deployments manually?"…Hands go up.…"How many of you follow along to some document?"…Lots of hands go up.…And then of course, the third question is…"How many of you have made mistakes?"…Every hand should stay up.…Because that's the very nature of software development.…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps with Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Paul Hacker1h 12m Intermediate
Learning Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Jose Miguel Rady Allende1h 17m Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.