Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Versioning the database, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- [Instructor] Another issue you might run into…is the need to version the database itself.…What do I mean by that?…Well we're putting the definition…of the database under version control…and every time we make changes…and publish those out to an environment…that becomes a new version.…Now in an environment like what I showed you earlier…where I went from DEV to test to prod,…that might mimic a typical corporate installation…for an app and it's databases.…But what happens if your database is deployed…at customer locations and you have 1,000 customers?…Not all customers will necessarily be willing…to upgrade at the same time.…
So it's possible you're supporting multiple versions…of a database for your users.…If you're going to be doing that type of application…you're going to want to add extra metadata into your database…to describe it to humans as well as applications…so they know which version they're dealing with.…You're going to also need to consider tracking…where databases are deployed and what version is in use…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.