Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Version control your SQL Server database, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- Once you've picked your primary version control format,…you're now ready to version control…your SQL server database.…When I tell people about this,…if they've never seen or heard about SSDT,…they wonder, "How do I do this, Brian?"…With SSDT,…you're basically taking the database catalog offline.…The catalog represents the collection of SQL server objects…inside a database.…Your tables, your views, your start procedures, et cetera.…
Now, a lot of people,…particularly if they've been around the industry for awhile,…will use the term schema.…I typically avoid that term…because schema is a first class object…when working with modern versions of SQL server databases.…So when I talk about the catalog,…I'm talking about that collection of objects…within the database.…Now, this idea of taking the database catalog offline…is known as creating a state model.…What's going to happen is, you're going to use the tools…to walk up to the database…and ask it to tell you all of its secrets.…
You're going to see the SSDT project take those secrets…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps with Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Paul Hacker1h 12m Intermediate
Learning Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Jose Miguel Rady Allende1h 17m Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.