Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Using SQL configuration functions, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Some of the simplest functions to begin with are just using the…configuration functions.…These allow us to get information like the server name and the version and the…connections that have occurred since this server was last booted up.…If I am going to write an SQL statement to read them, I still need to have a…good old SELECT statement here because that's how we fetch information. Well, what…I'm interested in is things like the server name.…I'm going to do the two @ signs because most of the configuration functions…are the ones without parentheses that begin with two @ signs. I use my trusty…IntelliSense and I've got quite a few. There is about 30 something to choose from.…
Lets take a little look at @ sign.…@@SERVERNAME.…Now you'll notice that I'm not saying use AdventureWorks because doesn't…really matter where I am.…This functions is going to execute and return the name of my standalone PC here,…which is just SIMON-PC.…I could do @@VERSION to find the version of SQL Server that is currently…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.