Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the second normal form (2NF), part of Database Foundations: Storage.
- The goal of the second normal form is to remove…the redundancy that was introduced when we…were converting our data table into first normal form.…We'll do that by first making sure that we've satisfied…the requirements of 1NF,…then we'll create related tables…in order to remove the redundant information.…Remember that we want no loss of data…so we'll need a place to store…the cell, home, and work phone numbers,…as well as the multiple credit card details.…One special caveat to the second normal form…is we need to pay special attention to related data…when working with tables that use two or more attributes…to define the unique records.…
Let's go ahead and take a look inside of Management Studio.…I'm going to continue working with…the CREATE TABLE statements…that we started in the last movie.…If you need to catch up you can pull out the text file…called 2NF-Start and that'll contain the text…that will get you to this point here.…Now the first thing I want to do is split off…the phone number information into its own table.…
Note: This course will also prepare certification candidates for the "Understanding data storage" domain of the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Exam 98-364, Database Administration Fundamentals. Find out more at https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-98-364.aspx.
- Reducing redundancy with normalization
- Fixing partial dependencies
- Creating primary keys
- Linking tables with foreign keys
- Creating clustered and nonclustered indexes