Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Sorting your output, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
So let's take the idea of filtering our data a bit further.…In this very simple SQL statement I am retrieving all the product information…from the Product table here, and I have got a lot of different things in…different colors, with names and Product IDs and list prices.…What I would like to do is go buy the cheapest to the most expensive.…Well it's yet another SQL clause and we'll put it right at the end of the SQL…statement, and I'll just put in Order By.…Well, order by what?…Well, in this case I'd like to Order By ListPrice.…
I hit F5 to execute that and we are going with the ordered ListPrice.…By default it will be ascending. If we want to make it descending we just…type-in the word DESC afterwards, hit Execute and now we have by…ListPrice descending.…You can if you want to pick multiple columns to order on, so I could order for…example by Color, ListPrice, and what this would do is order by color ascending…and then ListPrice descending within it. So if I execute that we have first off…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.