Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Scheduling jobs with SQL Server Agent, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
If you want to execute a package as a regularly scheduled occurrence there is a…part of SQL Server that can do that for you but it's a part that's actually…turned off when you first install it.…In fact if I open up another instance of Management Studio, I'm going to connect…to the database engine and you may have seen this before, that there is an entry…here that says SQL Server Agent. You may have seen it in Management Studio or if…you had opened up the Configuration Manager you would also see it there.…
SQL Server Agent is stopped by default and its Start Mode is Manual, which means…when the machine is restarted it will not start itself.…It's again because of what Microsoft tend to do these days, which is they ship…products with only the necessary part of them turned on.…Now SQL Server Agent isn't absolutely necessary so it's off by default and you…have to turn it on if you want to use it.…I can just turn it on quite easily from SQL Server Configuration Manager, just…hit the little Play button and we'll turn it on, and if I wanted to I could also…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
Q: I'm having problems installing the free Express R2 version of SQL Server on Windows XP. I tried 64-bit and 32-bit versions. In the videos, the author installs from a DVD. Do I need to do the same?
Q: The link to the installer for the AdventureWorks sample database, as shown in the Chapter 2 movie "Installing sample databases," no longer works. Where can I find the installer?
A: Microsoft has reorganized its site. The sample files are still there, but they're a bit harder to find. To install them:
1) Visit http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/.
2) Click the link to "SQL Server 2008 R2 OLTP."
3) Click the AdventureWOkrs2008R2 Data File link and agree to the conditions to download the MDF file.
4) Move the MDF file to your SQL Server Directory, usually located at C:\Program Files\Microsfot SQL Server\MSSQL 10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA.
5) Open the SQL Sever Management Studio and connect to your instance using an account with administrative privileges.
6) Attach the sample database by right-clicking the Databases folder in the Object Explorer and choosing Attach from the pop-up menu.
7) Click the Add button in the next menu and navigate to the MDF file in the Locate Database Files window that appears. Select it and click OK.
8) Remove the reference to the log file in the "AdventureWorks2008R2" database details: pane by selecting the Log entry and clicking removing.*
9) Click OK to return to SQL Server Management Studio and complete the attachment process.
*MDF files are the "data" files for SQL Server databases. They often come along with LOG files (ldf files). This one didn't so we need to REMOVE the reference to the non-existent log file. Select the second row in the lower section (it should say File Type: Log and Message: Not Found) and click the REMOVE button.
For an illustrated version of these instructions (with screenshots), click here for a PDF version.
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.