Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing for installation, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
If we're going to learn SQL Server then we need to have both SQL Server and all…the necessary tools to talk to it and administer it.…Now I'm going to imagine that you fall into one of the three categories here.…First is the idea that you're going completely from scratch.…You have nothing installed at all.…You have no existing SQL Server, anything.…Now way at the other end is the idea that you have everything already…installed successfully.…You not only have a SQL Server 2008 R2 database server to talk to, you also have…all the client tools installed and ready to go. SQL Server Management Studio,…SQL Server Configuration Manager, Books Online, all of that stuff.…
If so, you can actually just go skip ahead to the next section.…If you're someone in-between, say you know that you have a SQL Server database…you can get to but you have no management application yet, well, I'm going…to talk about going completely from scratch and you can just pick and choose…the bits that you need.…Now to be very specific about this, what we're going to do here is go through the…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
Q: I'm having problems installing the free Express R2 version of SQL Server on Windows XP. I tried 64-bit and 32-bit versions. In the videos, the author installs from a DVD. Do I need to do the same?
Q: The link to the installer for the AdventureWorks sample database, as shown in the Chapter 2 movie "Installing sample databases," no longer works. Where can I find the installer?
A: Microsoft has reorganized its site. The sample files are still there, but they're a bit harder to find. To install them:
1) Visit http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/.
2) Click the link to "SQL Server 2008 R2 OLTP."
3) Click the AdventureWOkrs2008R2 Data File link and agree to the conditions to download the MDF file.
4) Move the MDF file to your SQL Server Directory, usually located at C:\Program Files\Microsfot SQL Server\MSSQL 10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA.
5) Open the SQL Sever Management Studio and connect to your instance using an account with administrative privileges.
6) Attach the sample database by right-clicking the Databases folder in the Object Explorer and choosing Attach from the pop-up menu.
7) Click the Add button in the next menu and navigate to the MDF file in the Locate Database Files window that appears. Select it and click OK.
8) Remove the reference to the log file in the "AdventureWorks2008R2" database details: pane by selecting the Log entry and clicking removing.*
9) Click OK to return to SQL Server Management Studio and complete the attachment process.
*MDF files are the "data" files for SQL Server databases. They often come along with LOG files (ldf files). This one didn't so we need to REMOVE the reference to the non-existent log file. Select the second row in the lower section (it should say File Type: Log and Message: Not Found) and click the REMOVE button.
For an illustrated version of these instructions (with screenshots), click here for a PDF version.
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.