Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing for Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Exam 98-364, part of Database Foundations: Core Concepts.
- Obtaining an official certification of your skills and knowledge is a great way to stand out in a crowded jobs market. Microsoft offers several certification tracks that can help you secure your next job or earn a promotion in your current career. The Microsoft Technology Associate or MTA certification helps people validate their understanding of core information technology's concepts. The MTA certification has three different tracks. The database track, which you can find by clicking here, includes exam 364 which focuses on the systems required to store and retrieve data.
I've specifically organized this database fundamental series of course here on lynda.com to follow along with the requirements of passing MTA 98-364. For more information on how this course aligns with the sections of the database fundamentals exam, please see the handout provided in the exercise files. Let's go ahead and click here to see some more details. At the top is an information about how to register to take the exam and the current pricing. If we scroll down, we'll find a section called skills measured. Here you can see that the exam focuses on five main competencies.
This course, Core Concepts, will go through the material covered by the first competencies category here. Understanding core database concepts. This accounts for about 20 to 25% of the exam material. Other courses in this database fundamental series will cover material from the other four competencies categories so keep your eye out for them in a lynda.com library, and consider adding them to your learning playlist as well. Now, if you're not planning on seeking a certification, but do want a solid foundational understanding of how databases work, then this course is still for you.
Though I use the MTA exam as a guide, the material is still applicable to a wide range of database, systems, and environments. I'm sure you'll find the course beneficial whether you'll be pursuing the Microsoft Technology Associate certification, or not.
Note: This course will also prepare certification candidates for the Microsoft Technology Associate Exam 98-364, Database Administration Fundamentals.
- Understanding flat file, hierarchical, and relational databases
- Installing SQL Server 2014 Express
- Creating your first database and tables
- Creating and editing database objects
- Writing commands in DML
- Selecting and inserting data
- Updating and deleting data
- Establishing relationships and file naming conventions