In this video, Adam shows the location of the online technical documentation for SQL Server 2016. The tech docs, formerly known as “Books Online,” are a valuable resource to anyone working with SQL Server and includes primers on T-SQL functions, configuration settings, and tutorials. Adam also demonstrates how to make the documentation available for offline viewing.
- [Instructor] Having official documentation…at your fingertips will be an invaluable…resource as you start your journey into…learning SQL Server.…You can find the docs for SQL Server 2016…by visiting technet.microsoft.com.…Then we'll come up here and click on the Library link,…we'll scroll down and find SQL Server,…and then finally click on SQL Server 2016.…Now, I highly recommend that you bookmark…this page as the documentation resources…here will be extremely helpful as you…continue to learn the inner workings of SQL Server.…In the past this documentation resource…was called Books Online.…
So here and there you might see a reference…to that even though Microsoft has officially…dropped the Books Online moniker in favor…of the more standardized SQL Server 2016…technical documentation name.…Inside the SQL Server technical documentation…link we'll find options for finding out…what's new in SQL Server, some options…for the installation of SQL Server including…how to uninstall SQL Server if we wish.…We'll go back up here and click on this link again.…
This course introduces the most important features of SQL Server 2016, and is designed to act as the student's very first look at how the server operates. Adam Wilbert shows how to install a local copy of SQL Server; demonstrates the working environment, SQL Server Management Studio; and walks students through their first hour creating tables, defining relationships, and writing and running queries with Transact-SQL commands. Everything you need to accomplish to create your first database is covered in just 80 minutes. Start watching to get up and running with this professional-grade database management system.
- What is SQL Server?
- Configuring the server
- Creating a new database and data tables
- Joining tables with keys
- Creating a SELECT statement
- Writing an UPDATE statement
- Adding data with the INSERT statement