After downloading the SQL Server Express edition installer file, Adam demonstrates how to install SQL Server on a local computer using the basic installation profile. After the core database engine is installed, a separate procedure is required in order to load the graphical user interface, Management Studio.
- [Instructor] You should have this, SQL Server Express…Installer file in the default Downloads folder…that your web browser uses.…We're going to use this file…to install our own copy of SQL Server.…Before we begin, though, it's a good idea…to makes sure your computer is up-to-date…with all of the available service patches…by running through Windows Update.…Now I've done that previously,…so I know that my machine is good to go.…When I'm ready, I'll go ahead and double-click…on this file to start the installation process.…Windows is going to ask me if I want to allow this app…to make changes to the PC, and I'll go ahead and say yes.…On the installation screen, we're going to be presented…with three different options.…
We can either to choose a Basic installation,…a Custom installation, or we can Download Media…and save it to our own computer.…I'll click on Basic over here on the left,…and then we'll go ahead and accept the Licensing Terms here.…Then it will ask me for the location…of where I want SQL Server installed,…
This course introduces the most important features of SQL Server 2016, and is designed to act as the student's very first look at how the server operates. Adam Wilbert shows how to install a local copy of SQL Server; demonstrates the working environment, SQL Server Management Studio; and walks students through their first hour creating tables, defining relationships, and writing and running queries with Transact-SQL commands. Everything you need to accomplish to create your first database is covered in just 80 minutes. Start watching to get up and running with this professional-grade database management system.
- What is SQL Server?
- Configuring the server
- Creating a new database and data tables
- Joining tables with keys
- Creating a SELECT statement
- Writing an UPDATE statement
- Adding data with the INSERT statement