Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Database testing frameworks, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- When you're ready to start writing unit tests,…you'll want to decide on the testing framework…that you're going to use.…The first one I want to talk about…is testing locally with SSDT.…SSDT supports unit testing as a built in option.…The unit tests themselves are built…on top of the Microsoft test framework.…It supports testing database objects like stored procedures,…triggers, table value functions, et cetera.…The tests themselves are written in T-SQL,…but its backed by managed code,…which today could be either C# or VB.Net.…
This managed code is useful…to help you to do pre and post test operations,…like setting up the data,…getting things organized, et cetera.…Now, you can build, deploy,…and test all within Visual Studio…against a local copy of SQL Server,…or even a remote one if you had to,…but it's going to be a lot quicker…if you have a local instance running.…In addition, you can run these tests,…once they've been compiled,…from Team Build and Release Management, if you desire.…
An alternative framework for testing your database objects…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
DevOps with Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Paul Hacker1h 12m Intermediate
Learning Visual Studio Team Serviceswith Jose Miguel Rady Allende1h 17m Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.