Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Database normalization, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Database normalization is the process of taking your database design through a…set of rules called normal forms.…So that it conforms to relational database standards and you really want to…do this, so that your database will contain a minimum of duplicate data or…redundant data.…It'll contain data that's easy to get to define to edit and maintain, and that…you can perform operations even difficult ones on your database without creating…garbage inside, without invalidating the state of it.…
It should be carried out for every database you design, and it's really not that hard,… even though yes, when you first start reading about database…normalization, you're likely to run into phrases like "your database won't be…in third normal form until every non- prime attribute of R is non-transitively…dependent (i.e. directly dependent) on every candidate key of R," but you don't…have to get into all this language.…You just have to understand these were a set of rules developed about 40 years…ago by E. F. Codd, the father of databases, and we step through them basically…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.