Join Brian Randell for an in-depth discussion in this video Data motion, part of DevOps for the Database with TFS 2018.
- [Narrator] SSDT and the database projects don't fully…support data motion.…Data motion occurs when you need to adjust the structure…of the data based upon a change to the data type…or the overall organizational structure of the data…persistence light at the tables.…Things like making a column wider, going from end…to a big end are okay.…But we think about narrowing conversions where we might…go from a big end down to an end or to even a bit.…
Or where we might provide some kind of change that…requires normalization, maybe someone created a name field…that's a first name and a surname together in one column…and you want to break that up into two columns.…SSDT won't be able to do that automatically.…It will detect it and block you from updating…the database when you're doing the deployment be it…from Visual Studio or via SQL package in a DAC pack.…But ultimately if you're going to have complex data motion…it's going to be up to you to write the scripts that will…protect the data and move it in and out from the old…
- Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2018
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Configuring version control of a SQL database
- Installing and importing a database
- Setting up users, team build, agents, and pipelines
- Handling changes, branching, and merging
- Making local deployments
- Building a database for SQL Server
- Continuous integration
- Continuous deployment
- Working with multiple groups and environments
- Testing databases using frameworks
- Working with static data and data motion
- Versioning a database
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Tooling Overview
2. Version Control Your Database
3. Build Your Database
4. Release Your Database
5. Test Your Database
6. Real-World Issues
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.