Join Martin Guidry for an in-depth discussion in this video Compression, part of Microsoft SQL Server 2014: Backup and Recovery.
- [Voiceover] Some versions of Microsoft SQL Server…allow us to compress our backups.…In SQL Server 2014, it is both the…enterprise and the standard edition…allow compress backups.…The express edition does not.…Some previous versions of SQL Server…only did compress backups in the enterprise edition.…All versions of SQL Server can restore…a compressed backup, so don't worry…about the fact that your backup is compressed,…would cause it to be unable to be restored…by a different version of SQL Server.…
Everybody can restore, that's not a problem.…Just only certain versions can do the compressed backups.…As a little experiment I'm going to do two quick backups,…one with compression and one without compression.…When using T-SQL to backup a database…all we have to do is add the phrase,…"With compression" to the end of the command…and the database will be compressed.…I'll go ahead and run these…and once we get the successful message…I'll go look at the files.…
Without compression came up to 194 megabytes,…with compression only 45 megabytes…
- Types of backups
- Media sets and backups
- Performing a basic backup using the GUI or command line
- Performing a basic restore using the GUI or command line
- Backing up and restoring logs
- Doing partial backup and restores
- Automating backups
- Using encryption and compression
Skill Level Intermediate
SQL Server 2014: Installation and Administrationwith Ron Davis3h 40m Intermediate
SQL Server 2014 Essential Trainingwith Martin Guidry3h 51m Intermediate
Migrating Access Databases to SQL Serverwith Adam Wilbert2h 38m Intermediate
1. Backups in General
4. Partial Backups and Restores
5. Other Backup Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.