Join Ron Davis for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing the Script task or Script component, part of SQL Server Integration Services.
- Now you may wonder whether you should use the…Script task or the Script component.…Remember, though they're both named Script,…this is not scripting in the traditional sense.…This is really object-oriented programming…with both the Script task and the Script component,…and to really work with either one of these,…outside of some very trivial examples,…you need to understand how to code in .NET…in the language of your choice,…which either VB or C# to work with…either one of these components.…
And there are resources with Lynda.com's…online library to find out more about that.…OK, although they have nearly identical interfaces,…the Script task and the Script component…differ greatly in their default design.…As a tool designed for direct data interaction,…which is the Script component, it includes…pre-configured code defining inputs and/or outputs.…So that will allow data to flow through the component,…which is what it's designed to do.…
That's why it's part of the data flow.…In contrast, the behaviors built into a Script task…
- Creating SSIS packages
- Coding and looping tasks
- Managing and administering SQL with SSIS tasks
- Optimizing data for extraction
- Making packages dynamic with variables and parameters
- Using sequences in a container
- Performing joins
- Handling errors
- Working with XML
Skill Level Intermediate
Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012with Gerry O'Brien5h 35m Beginner
2. SQL Server Integration Services Tools
3. SQL Server Integration Services Tasks
4. Data Flow
5. Variables, Parameters, and Expressions
6. Performing Joins
7. Debugging SQL Server Integration Services Packages
8. Common Designs in SQL Server Integration Services
Where to go next37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.