Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Normalizing a dataset, part of Database Fundamentals: Storage.
- View Offline
- For the first challenge of this course,…I'd like you to consider a data table…called ChallengeData.txt in the Exercise Files.…You'll find a selection of products in their details…that Age Plus Active carries.…Your job is to create a plan for a set of…normalized data tables that'll store this data.…Outline the fields that will need to be creative…across the related tables,…but don't spend too much time determining…data types at this point.…Your solution might be different than what…you may have seen in the previous courses in this series.…Your new data tables should be capable…of storing all of the details about the product line…and meet the criteria of the third normal form.…
At this point, I'm not looking for you to move data…into the tables just create the structure…that will support the storage of this information.…I estimate that this challenge should take about 10 minutes.…Good luck.…
Note: This course will also prepare certification candidates for the "Understanding data storage" domain of the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Exam 98-364, Database Administration Fundamentals. Find out more at https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-98-364.aspx.
- Reducing redundancy with normalization
- Fixing partial dependencies
- Creating primary keys
- Linking tables with foreign keys
- Creating clustered and nonclustered indexes