Join Simon Allardice for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a Windows user to the database, part of SQL Server 2008 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
The best practice for working with security in SQL Server is that you're using…Windows authentication.…That means before anybody actually accesses your SQL Server, they have had to…log on to the domain or even log on to the local machine, as a legitimate Windows…user, that user already exists.…What that means is your job inside SQL Server is not declaring that there's a…certain user called Barbara, certain user called Alice,…but you're saying what is that user allowed to do in SQL Server.…
And this is the way that we do it.…Instead of opening up my Databases section, I am going to expand my Security and…take a look right now at my Logins.…Now, right now, I don't have a lot. In fact most of these are essentially…background and service accounts because I haven't added anybody to access this instance yet.…So I am going to right click the Logins folder and say New Login.…Let's be very clear about what we're doing.…We are not actually creating a user here.…The user already needs to exist outside SQL Server.…
- Using T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
- Managing databases with SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding database normalization
- Using SELECT statements
- Building indexes
- Monitoring database size and integrity
- Backing up and restoring databases
- Creating functions and stored procedures
- Managing database permissions
- Creating and formatting reports
- Adding charts to reports
- Creating and executing a simple SSIS package
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
3. Tools and System Databases
SQL Server system databases2m 22s
4. Creating Databases
5. Importing Existing Data
6. Retrieving Data with SQL
7. Inserting and Updating Data
8. SQL Functions
9. Stored Procedures and Transactions
10. Core Administration Tasks
11. Backing Up and Restoring
12. Security Features
13. Reporting Services
14. Integration Services
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.