Explore prototype mechanical considerations and needs beyond 3D printing.
- [Instructor] First off, I wanna say…that 3D printing is really cool; it's so cool.…You could do so much with it that we couldn't do before,…but it's got its limit.…These limits come to the fore…when you move past display models…into functional prototypes.…Improvements are being made all the time…on the strength and durability of available materials.…However, not every project can be solved with filament…the same way that not every problem is a nail.…So it's time to extend the toolbox just a little.…For example, you need to make 10 of these.…
They're cute little desk toys that don't need…to bear weight or pressure or attach to anything.…You've got access to a handy desktop 3D printer,…piece of cake, right?…But wait, your social media photo of this project…goes viral and turns your order…into the magnitude of thousands.…How fast can you 3D print this design anyway?…Is there a way you could make this process go faster?…In fact, you could.…You could send off the digital design to a company,…like Shapeways, and take the profit loss.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.