In the View Setting there are settings that can be adjusted to improve SOLIDWORKS performance.
- [Narrator] When trying to increase our performance in SolidWorks, especially when using large assemblies, it's good to adjust our view settings as well. Let's go ahead and go up to the screen and do that. Clicking on my systems options, I go to view. You can see here that I've already started making some adjustments. The first one is zoom to fit when changing the standard views is going to be turned off. If you have it turned on, what it's going to do is zoom in and out the model as you're changing views. This just takes more time and more processing speed, so we're going to keep that off.
By preference, I've got my arrow keys' view rotation set to five degrees. This means when I hit my arrow keys on my keyboard, I can just clock the model assembly around by five degree increments. This is done so you're using your keyboard more and you don't have to drag stuff around, and then it causes more processing power. It can just snap to a position. Moving down, though, the transitions are the most important part. Now what we mean by transitions, I'm going to show you real quick. Let's take isolate, for example. I'm going to just click okay to keep the changes I've made.
Let's say that I want to isolate just this tire in my model. I right click and hit isolate. While it isolates it, you saw that it made everything disappear in this animation. We're going to turn that off. I'm going to go back to my systems options, go back to view, and I'm going to turn all of these off. View selector, isolate, hide/show components, view transitions, all off. These are usually when you're hiding or showing things on the screen.
Isolate is basically a hide/show. You're just specifying one component. Instead of seeing those transitions, it will just snap. Let's see what that looks like. Again I'm going to grab my tire and hit isolate. You see it just whipped right to it really quick and just suppressed all the other models in the background view as quickly as it could. I'm going to X that isolate. Go back to my systems options just to review. We're going to turn all the transitions off and keep the zoom to fit unchecked.
Clicking okay. We've made all our changes for the view settings.
- How your workstation's hardware functions
- Adjusting System Options settings
- Modeling best practices
- Creating custom configurations
- Fixing your assemblies
- Using SpeedPak
- Increasing modeling performance with Instant2D and Instant3D