Learn about using the SOLIDWORKS Unfold and Fold commands.
- [Instructor] In this video,…I'm gonna be teaching you how to fold, unfold,…and flatten sheet metal parts.…Now in this example,…what I have here is I'd like to take this bend here…and fold it flat, or actually unfold it,…and then make a cut or extruded cut through the part…in its flattened state,…and then fold that part back up.…So to do that, let's go ahead and unfold this bend first.…So go up here to sheet metal.…Come over here to unfold.…So go ahead and choose the fixed face.…That's gonna be this one right here.…And the bend I'd like to unfold…is gonna be this one right here.…
Now I can also unbend multiple bends at the same time,…but right now, let's just do that one.…Click on OK,…and that flattens it out.…Now let's go ahead and create a cut feature,…so I'm gonna choose this surface here or this surface here.…Create a sketch.…I'm gonna use the slot command.…And I'm gonna go ahead…and choose the center point of that radius.…Go ahead and create a slot and go ahead…and create a dimension of half of an inch…by inch and a quarter.…
First, review the sheet metal tools in SOLIDWORKS and the properties that make sheet metal unique: bend radius, K-factor, bend deduction, gauge thickness, and more. Then learn how to create basic parts, with base features, flanges, and bends that add strength and connections. Find out how to flatten parts and add holes, cuts, and corners that are manufacturing ready, and use the Convert to Sheet Metal command to convert imported geometry into native sheet metal parts. Gabriel also shows you how to create assemblies from multiple parts, use the Pattern and Mirrors tools to effortlessly duplicate existing work, and then document your designs with detailed sheet metal drawings. Watch the bonus videos to learn about the different machinery and processes that occur during manufacturing.
- Sheet metal tools in SOLIDWORKS
- Sheet metal manufacturing: Laser cutting, CNC machining, welding, and more
- Creating base features
- Creating flanges and tabs
- Making cuts and corners
- Using the Convert to Sheet Metal command
- Building multi-body parts
- Creating forming tools
- Forming across a bend
- Building an assembly
- Creating parts in an assembly
- Creating sheet metal drawings
Skill Level Intermediate
Cert Prep: SOLIDWORKS Sheet Metalwith Gabriel Corbett1h 34m Intermediate
Designing a Sheet Metal Enclosure with SOLIDWORKSwith Gabriel Corbett2h 31m Intermediate
Cert Prep: SOLIDWORKS Weldmentswith Gabriel Corbett1h 26m Intermediate
1. Interface and Sheet Metal Basics
2. Sheet Metal Flanges
3. Sheet Metal Cuts and Corners
4. Converting to Sheet Metal
5. Multibody Parts
6. Forming Tools
7. Sheet Metal Assemblies
8. Sheet Metal Drawings
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.