Learn the definition of the types of casting including full, partial, rotational, and series.
- [Instructor] With all of the considerations…we've talked about in mind so far,…it's time for a look at the practical applications.…In prototype molding, there are also different…kinds of casting.…I'll discuss solid casting, combination casting,…also known as overmolding, hollow rotational casting,…and expanding casting.…The first type of casting we'll talk about is…the most common type, a solid casting.…In solid, or standard, casting, the entire cavity…of your mold is filled with one material,…resulting in a solid cast component.…
I recommend solid casting for small to medium parts.…If you decide to cast a larger solid,…the weight could become an issue and the cost increases.…The more material you use, the more expensive it is,…so many designs minimize unnecessary bulk.…Large, volumetric plastic parts made with factory methods…found around you are generally hollow with structural…design features and consistent wall thickness.…These parts would still be considered a solid casting…because the mold itself creates a solid vessel,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.