Learn methods for creating section views.
- [Narrator] In this movie we're going to be covering the methods for creating section views on your model. Now the testing client is more than likely going to ask you to download a model or drawing or both. Now in this case here I have this drawing already opened up of this bottle and we want to create a section view of the bottle. So the first thing I want to do is go up here to section view under view layout, here it is. And I have a couple different options. One is the vertical line, one's the horizontal line, and I have a couple of different options down here. But first, let's just go ahead and create a vertical line. Now I can cut this thing anywhere I want and I'm just going to cut it right about right there.
Now before I click on the green check mark, notice I have this thing called edit sketch right over here. Click on that. Now I can add dimension from the line over to maybe like the corner there and go ahead and place the dimension. Let's type in one point five. Click on okay and now exit out of that sketch and now you can see that the section view is active and I can flip the dimension if I'd like. Click, and place it. Alright. Once I've added that, now I can go ahead and measure either the perimeter or the area and that's more than likely what they're going to ask you on the exam. So go ahead up here to evaluate.
Click on measure and come down here and click on that shaded surface. Notice it highlights it in green and that's what we're looking for and it's giving us the area and the perimeter. Now make sure that you're in the right unit system and you have the right amount of decimal places. If not, come down here and make that adjustment. Alright, so that's method number one. Now let me show you one other method. So I'll go ahead and delete this one right now. Click on that, go ahead and delete this dimension here. Now, I do want to point out that you need to be in focus to create drawings or lines on top of the view you have here. So, notice this is the view focus and if you double click on it it actually highlights the corners there, showing that we've locked our view focus on there.
Now if you didn't do that, if you're kind of on focus somewhere else, you'll have a hard time creating dimensions on this drawing. So let's go ahead and create a sketch. I'm going to choose a line and I'm going to create a line that comes down through this part here and then cuts over here to the side. And those are the lines we're going to use to create a section view. Now, I'm going to go ahead and add dimension, so I'm going to make a dimension from here over here to that line there. One point two sounds good to me, and then from the top here down to here, let's go ahead and say two point nine.
So those are dimensions, and notice these lines are going past the part, and those are important to make sure it goes past the part. Now that's the sketch we're going to be using to create our section view, so go ahead and just highlight this line. Hold down control, select the other line as well, and then let's go ahead up here to view layout and create section view using those lines. And notice exactly what's happening here, I'm getting a section view exactly what I'm looking for here. You can always flip the dimension if you'd wanted the other direction, it doesn't matter. But in this case here let's click on that one there and then more than likely they're going to ask us for the same type of information, so it's going to be evaluate, measure, choose that face that's been cut, and then figure out what the area is or the perimeter, type that into to testing client, and you should be good to go.
Anyways, a couple different methods for creating section views. Make sure you do have the view you're trying to work with highlighted or the focus set on there so you're creating the lines and you have the dimensions. For some reason if the dimensions are not showing up or you're having a hard time clicking or grabbing one of those edges more than likely you're not in focus on the current view. Hope that helps. Those are a couple of methods for creating section views.
- Downloading the testing software
- Working with drawing views
- Accessing data in the bill of materials
- Using equations with BOM data
- Importing model items
- Creating complex views
- Sample exam questions and answers