Join Gabriel Corbett for an in-depth discussion in this video Question 3: Section views, part of Cert Prep: SOLIDWORKS Drawing Tools.
- [Instructor] For question number 3, we're asked to create a section view that has a little jog in it, and then figure out what the area is of this section right up here, highlighted in red. If you look at the question here, you can see all the information we need. Let's jump over to Solidworks and see what we can do. This is the view we're going to start from. So I'm going to go ahead and create some lines. Now there's a couple different ways to create sections views. You can just jump right into the section view tool or you can create your sketch ahead of time. I kind of like to create my sketch ahead of time because that makes it a little bit easier for me to figure out what's happening.
I can actually snap right to that hole there, keep going over this direction, go up here, and snap up here, let's go ahead and snap to the middle of the hole there, and go ahead snap over here. Now notice this line here is not horizontal, no problem, make it horizontal, this one over here, same thing, not horizontal, this one over here already is vertical so we're in good shape. Let's go ahead and add dimension from this edge right here over to that line right there and I think it's supposed to be 10 millimeters. Alright, so that is the line that we want to use to create this section view. Let's go ahead and move that over here so that it shows up as 10.
Now let's go ahead and just select all these line segments. Not that center line, let's go back, click on that, hold down Control that one, that one, this one, and this one. Those are the lines we want to use. Let's go up here to view layout and come over here to section view. It's saying would you like to create a legacy style or a standard section view. I'm going to go ahead and just choose this standard section view and then bring that directly down here or up above, your choice. Let's go ahead and flip that view. So now we're looking at the right direction here, that's per the exam.
Go ahead and click OK, that's my view. Let's go ahead and arrange this a little differently so we can see where we're at. Now what we need to do is figure out what the area is of this section right in here. Let's go ahead and click on evaluate. Come up here to measure and go ahead and click anywhere in this hatched area there and see what that area is. Now notice we are in inches and that's where we don't want to be, so go ahead and click on the units and precision. Go ahead and change that back over here to millimeters, 2 place decimal, click on OK.
And now we should have an area of 924.12. Check the answer key, that is the correct answer and that is exactly what we need to put on that exam. Hopefully this helps you out with creating section views, especially with complicated section views and figuring out the area or the perimeter for the correct answer to the exam.
- Downloading the testing software
- Working with drawing views
- Accessing data in the bill of materials
- Using equations with BOM data
- Importing model items
- Creating complex views
- Sample exam questions and answers