Learn the definition and see a demonstration of key design terms such as\DRAFT, fillets, sprues, runners, and cavities.
- Concepts like parting line, direction of pull,…sprues, runners, and vents are important to understand…in the complexity of molding.…It will help with your design…to consider some of the mold physics.…We've talked about the parting line…a bit in previous chapters.…To review, it's this surface that meets that flesh…between the mold parts.…On a cast component, the parting line…is the sometimes visible line…where the two mold halves meet.…In many cases, the parting line is plainer and flat,…though sometimes it could fall along a curve…due to design constraints.…
The direction of pull is perpendicular to the parting line,…so let's look closer.…If your parting line splits your part in half like this,…along the plane, then your direction of pull…is straight up and down.…That parting line is important to one of the most important…aspects of molding, which is draft.…Draft is the angle of taper away from perpendicular,…measured in degrees.…When your material is cooled,…it needs to be ejected from the machine.…You don't want your part to get stuck.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.