Compare and explore small- and large-scale production, design criteria helps inform decisions on production methods.
- [Instructor] The method of production you choose will…depend heavily on the volume of production.…How many parts you need will help inform the scale.…Small scale production generally refers to manufacturing…that is done in more intensive per part human labor…often requiring highly skilled workers who can perform…a variety of tasks.…It may include specialized machinery…and combination with craftsmanship.…These goods are produced on the scale of handfuls…to hundreds of identical or similar items.…Small scale production methods can include 3D printing,…CNC of custom parts and vacuum forming for tray inserts.…
At this scale, the design process is more agile and able…to adapt to changes in design as needed.…For example, with CNC of custom parts it takes much…less setup time per individual design and as necessary…can update and produce families, variations, or series…of similar but unique items.…With 3D printing you can print individual, unique, and…complex projects each design taking similar amounts of time…and resources to produce.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.