Compare the best use of 3D printing tech vs. subtractive CNC carving tech.
- [Narrator] There are many factors to consider…when deciding which fabrication method…to use in your project.…I'll talk about some of the best uses…of 3D printing and CNC carving technology.…Both methods can come from 3D models, are highly accurate,…can use a variety of materials, are well suited…for both prototyping and mass production,…and are considered agile production methods.…When choosing between them, you have to consider…the size, the speed, and the end use of your process.…
3D print technology is limited mostly by size.…You can print parts and assemble them into a larger whole,…but you will still have to factor in…the maximum size you can print.…Within those size limitations, 3D printing,…like SLA, or DLP, can be extremely accurate…and well-suited for visual prototype samples.…With the right settings, you can test for fit-up,…get feedback from focus groups,…or get a hands-on look at your project.…It's a good idea to utilize 3D printing technology…before moving to batch or mass production,…especially if you're still working out the details.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.