Learn how to design for strategic placement of parting lines for maximum perceived valuation.
- [Narrator] Based on what we learned so far,…you can probably guess that not all products…can be molded in one easy piece.…Many products involve multiple parts coming together…in your assembly.…For the function of your project,…you need to think about…where you're going to split it up.…This is where the parting line comes into play.…To review, the parting line is the line along the…surface of your part where where your mold halves meet,…leaving a seam.…The parting surface can be plainer…for really simple parts like this stool,…but it often requires a more complex split.…For symmetrical products, like a lot of power tools,…it makes sense for the line to split…the product exactly in half,…which makes it easy to work out where…all the internal components are going to go.…
For asymmetrical, complex or undulated parts…the parting line will get more complicated.…When the two main mold halves come together,…they leave a perceptible parting line on the…surface of your part.…When your mold isn't flush or properly ventilated,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.