Apply the chapter's concepts into a higher complexity mold to explore what design considerations look like applied to a real-world project.
- [Woman] As you can tell,…there are a lot of factors that go into mold design.…There are different types of molds, mold components,…mold box best practices, and pitfalls to watch out for.…I'm going to open this example part…so that we can look at these factors in context.…This dental case keeps in mind…all the concepts that we've reviewed so far.…This case can be molded in a simple, bi-valve mold.…As you can see, if we do a draft analysis of the case,…we'll be able to see that draft has been applied…to all sides that are perpendicular…to the direction of pull.…
Green is good, red is bad, and yellow is adjustable.…I can adjust the degree of draft it's looking for here,…to make sure my model has been drafted correctly.…It looks like there isn't enough draft on my rib features.…I can adjust this by going back into the feature tree…and adjust the draft in the feature itself.…If that's difficult to do,…there's also a feature in mold tools…to add draft after the fact.…(mouse clicks softly)…Now that I'm happy with the draft analysis,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.