Prototype molds can help you plan the placement of necessary marks of manufacture, such as injection site, and pins.
- [Narrator] With the advances of…material science and manufacturing,…we've been able to create large volumes…out of a minimum amount of material.…This is primarily for costs,…but includes other considerations like weight…and temperature resistance.…A typical injection-molded design…is called a clamshell,…where there are two parts that meet along a shared plane…enclosing the mechanics within an easily handled volume.…They are so called clamshell…because they are volumetric and thin walled.…In order to make parts…that are the same thickness throughout,…assembled together, and hold the motor within,…certain structures are necessary to the B side of the part.…
Structures like:…ribs and bosses.…Let's look at this stool.…This is a step stool that needs to hold up…the weight of a person,…defeating their height challenge.…It needs to hold up under that weight…and so if we look underneath…we can see some of those necessary structures.…These ribs aren't here for looks.…They're there to create structural strength.…At the intersection of the ribs,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.