Explore the history of molding from wax to metal casting, sand casting, and learn how that translates to modern plastic manufacturing.
- [Instructor] The comprehensive history…of making things via molding is almost as long…as the history of the people who were making them.…For now I'll zoom in on some key technological advances…relevant to this course in particular.…Some of the oldest evidence of moldmaking…and casting is found from the Mesopotamian civilization…wherein bronze bowls were made using sand casting.…As the technology developed artisans would…hand carve wax into the master shape and cast it.…These ancient examples were often small pieces of jewelry…or religious artifacts.…
Other methods of moldmaking and casting…made use of biological resins…like animal horns and tree gums to make master forms from.…Due to limitations in materials and available technology…these were usually small scale goods…made by master craftsmen custom to order.…Prior to the industrial revolution…the craftsmanship era was defined by cottage industry,…i.e., artisanal goods made at home.…Made objects, especially the ones…using moldmaking techniques, were made to order,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.