Learn to design parts and assemblies using the sheet metal tools in SOLIDWORKS.
- [Gabriel] Sheet metal is a complex industry and understanding the basic process and fundamentals is essential to designing parts that are easy to manufacture. Solidworks has assembled a great set of tools for working with sheet metal. However, it's up to us as designers to use these tools to create parts that can be easily and efficiently manufactured. Solidworks is the world leader in CAD design and the sheet metal tools are some of the best available. By taking this course, not only will you learn the tools and skills required to design parts in sheet metal, but you'll also obtain key insights on how to design quickly and effectively.
I'll start by showing you how to design basic sheet metal parts and cover all the common tools in the sheet metal package. From there, we'll expand our knowledge into more complex multi body sheet metal design techniques and assemblies to design manufacturing ready parts. As a bonus, we'll be touring a sheet metal fabrication company and learning all about the machinery and processes that are required to build sheet metal parts. We'll cover what really goes on behind the scenes and how to design parts for the real world.
I'm Gabriel Corbett and let's dive into my course on LinkedIn Learning and start designing sheet metal parts in Solidworks.
First, review the sheet metal tools in SOLIDWORKS and the properties that make sheet metal unique: bend radius, K-factor, bend deduction, gauge thickness, and more. Then learn how to create basic parts, with base features, flanges, and bends that add strength and connections. Find out how to flatten parts and add holes, cuts, and corners that are manufacturing ready, and use the Convert to Sheet Metal command to convert imported geometry into native sheet metal parts. Gabriel also shows you how to create assemblies from multiple parts, use the Pattern and Mirrors tools to effortlessly duplicate existing work, and then document your designs with detailed sheet metal drawings. Watch the bonus videos to learn about the different machinery and processes that occur during manufacturing.
- Sheet metal tools in SOLIDWORKS
- Sheet metal manufacturing: Laser cutting, CNC machining, welding, and more
- Creating base features
- Creating flanges and tabs
- Making cuts and corners
- Using the Convert to Sheet Metal command
- Building multi-body parts
- Creating forming tools
- Forming across a bend
- Building an assembly
- Creating parts in an assembly
- Creating sheet metal drawings
Skill Level Intermediate
Cert Prep: SOLIDWORKS Sheet Metalwith Gabriel Corbett1h 34m Intermediate
Designing a Sheet Metal Enclosure with SOLIDWORKSwith Gabriel Corbett2h 31m Intermediate
Cert Prep: SOLIDWORKS Weldmentswith Gabriel Corbett1h 26m Intermediate
1. Interface and Sheet Metal Basics
2. Sheet Metal Flanges
3. Sheet Metal Cuts and Corners
4. Converting to Sheet Metal
5. Multibody Parts
6. Forming Tools
7. Sheet Metal Assemblies
8. Sheet Metal Drawings
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.