Explore fluid flow with respect to physics, including gravity, bubbles, shrinkage, and more.
- Often, when forming a part, you'll be dealing…with liquid material at one stage or another.…Different plastics have different characteristics…while molten.…Depending on how thick it is,…the harder it will be to completely pack into the mold.…Think about trying to squeeze honey into your mold…and what that honey would stick to.…When I have the point of material introduction…at one end of the model and only allow for…one avenue of venting, this is an exaggeration…of the problems you may find.…A properly designed part has enough gaps, vents, and avenues…for the molten plastic to flow into…and fill the part completely.…
It's also helpful in a larger surface area part…to fill from the center of volume…and vent at the outer most extents of the model.…Most importantly, it reduces built in tension and stress…as much as possible.…Non uniform filling and cooling can introduce stress.…This can lead to your part warping out of shape…or even cracking.…I can't give advice for every project but on basic level,…more friction in the mold equals more interior stresses.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.