Learn how to extend a surface in SOLIDWORKS.
- [Instructor] In this example, I'mma be showing you how to extend an existing surface. Now whenever you have an surface and you might have to do something to it, like trim it or extend it, or something like that, it's always easier to kind of extend the surface you already have than to go ahead and try to create a new surface. Obviously it's a lot harder to create a new surface than just extending the one you have. So, you can use this tool up here called Extend Surface. Just choose the edges you want to extend. You can just kind of drag them out and notice if you do that, it kind of follows the already geometry that's kind of existing in this part which is kind of interesting.
So, a couple different things you can do with extending surfaces, notice it's flipped to this other edge. So if I choose that again, not that one there. You can see actually we are getting kind of part of that circle. So I can again drag that back down. If I uncheck that, you can also choose the entire surface itself to extend. So you have a couple different options of how you can do that to give yourself a little bit of extra surface to work with which then you might want to trim away later. So, whether you're choosing the outside profile, the entire surface, or just one of the edges, you can also choose multiple edges at the same time, so a couple different options you can do there to extend and work with the existing surfaces that you already have and I definitely recommend doing that versus trying to create your own surface and extend it or add on to existing surface when it's already pretty much there.
So just go ahead and choose the edges or the surface itself, type in the distance, or choose up to a point, or up to another surface. Make sure it's the same surface generally and then click on okay. And there's your new and improved bigger surface.
- Exam-taking techniques
- Surfacing tools
- Creating splines and 3D curves
- Building a boundary surface
- Extending and untrimming surfaces
- Knitting surfaces together
- Creating surface fillets
- Using the Thicken tool