Learn more about the procedural breakdown of pouring, casting, and post-processing.
- [Instructor] Now that you've got your…accurate mold together, now what?…Well, it depends.…Did your master form leave any dust…or residue inside?…You'll want to clean that mold up.…I sometimes find that using…an inexpensive plastic as my very first pour…tends to grab anything that might've…gotten stuck in the nooks and crannies…For the purpose of this breakdown,…I'll assume a few things.…A, that you're using silicon rubber…as your molding material.…B, that you're using a two-part mold.…And C, that you're using a urethane casting material.…
Once you've got a handle on this soft,…pliable mold, and hard plastic casting process,…more layers of steps can be added.…But we have to start at the beginning.…So, with those conditions in mind,…let us begin.…You've got your mold.…It's as clean as you can get it.…And you've let it cure completely.…Step one, prepare your work area.…Cover your work surface with a disposable barrier.…Two, assemble all of your casting material compounds…and unseal them.…Containers can sometimes be sealed shut…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.