Learn about mold box design, orientation, and best practices for design.
- [Instructor] An essential of prototype molding…is the mold box itself.…You can't hold together liquid silicone,…for hours, with telekinesis.…It needs a container.…There are many kinds of boxes that can do the trick for you.…But they share a couple of key characteristics.…One, the material the mold box is made from…has to be non-porous.…The material could be made from sealed plywood,…acrylic or any kind of sheet plastic,…exceeding one quarter thickness, for structural integrity.…You can even use pre-existing containers,…like buckets or pvc piping.…
Though this comes with its own complications.…Two, they need to be watertight.…This means that when you pour liquids into it,…it won't come pouring out of the sides…or through holes in the bottom.…Basically, it needs to not leak fluids…and also have a surface smooth enough,…that your mold material won't bond to it.…And three, they need to hold their shape during pouring,…and they need to come apart easily and repeatedly.…For the duration of your pours, they need to stay rigid…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.