Get an overview of multi-part injection molding, the definition, and explore multi-material parts and how overmolding works.
- [Instructor] So far we've talked about molding…individual parts, or in pairs.…Lots of smaller parts are made into family molds…where the same part is repeated.…Another common use of family molds is when many different…parts of a whole are made of the same material.…There are several different configurations one can use…for this, and there is a more extensive use of runners.…In this example, I have a simple bottle cap.…It wouldn't make sense to have such a small part…in an individual mold.…I've demonstrated both the use of a radial family mold,…and a grid.…
In the radial mold, the initial sprue river of plastic…splits into eight individual runner streams…into the center of mass for each cap.…In the grid example, the main sprue could be…at almost any point of this grid,…though likely closer to the center, before separating out…into individual runners.…An example of family molds you may be familiar with…is with small plastic model toy sets…that you have to remove from a grid.…They ship the parts with all of the sprues still attached.…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Appropriate for all
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Appropriate for all
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.