Explore how vacuum forming relates to chapter three overall and learn more about it.
- [Narrator] As previously discussed,…CNC is a versatile manufacturing method.…It can make extremely precise final parts…and is a method used to create most factory…plastic forming dies, out of metal.…Another capability of CNC is making volumetric,…one-sided forms for heat-forming sheet plastic.…Vacuum forming is a process,…in which flat, extruded sheet plastic…is shaped over a master form, with heat and suction.…The plastic used in this process can vary,…in thickness and texture, but calls for thermoplastic sheet,…as it may need to be heated and formed multiple times.…
There are a few steps to vacuum forming.…First, the sheet is clamped into a sturdy frame,…to keep it square, and is then heated with coils,…by an oven, until it reaches…a right temperature and pliability.…Once the sheet has reached the specified softness and sag,…it will be immediately pulled over the form,…capturing an impression of the detail and allowed to cool.…After the plastic has cooled enough,…to retain the shape of the form, the vacuum pressure ceases,…
- What are mold making and casting?
- Type of molds
- Designing a mold
- Types of casting
- Mold and box setup
- Complex molds
- 3D printing and CNC manufacturing for molding and casting
- Other molding processes
Skill Level Beginner
Prime Studio Product Designwith Stuart Harvey Lee14m 2s Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Rhino and V-Ray: Product Design Renderingwith Dave Schultze2h 54m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
Product Design: From CAD to 3D Modelwith Jean Gorospe1h 45m Beginner
What is mold design?1m 22s
1. What Is Mold Making and Casting?
2. Everyday Casting: Materials
3. Design Considerations for Molding
4. The Casting Process
5. What Prototyping Processes Tell You about Full-Scale Manufacturing
6. 3D Printing and CNC for Molding and Casting
7. Other Applications and Processes
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.