Join Leon van den Heever for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding appearances, part of Modeling a Motorcycle Engine with SOLIDWORKS.
- Now on the topic of appearances,…remember that an appearance is exactly that,…and is not an actual material being applied to the model.…So don't confuse the two if you intend in determining…specific mass, or doing analysis on the model.…Now from the task pane at the right of our screen,…select the "Appearance" icon,…and let's pin this window so it remains expanded.…Expand the "Appearances", find "Metal",…and let's select "Tungsten".…
I'll add a brushed finish to the entire piston,…within the graphics view, by simply dragging…and dropping the appearance onto…the component in the graphics view,…and don't move your mouse when you do this.…We want to make use of the pop-up…selection bar that is presented to us.…From here I can select to add…the appearance to the entire part.…Note that I do have the option to apply the appearance…to the part, but only at the assembly level, if I preferred.…And let's do that.…
Note this only affects the instance I selected.…Now let's open this piston in it's own window…from the context dialog,…
AuthorLeon van den Heever
Need a better background in SOLIDWORKS before you can continue? Check out SOLIDWORKS 2014 Essential Training.
- Sketching the flywheel
- Building and cutting the flywheel shafts
- Filleting the flywheels
- Splitting the connecting rod
- Building the sprocket
- Modeling the camshaft
- Combining parts into an assembly
Skill Level Intermediate
SOLIDWORKS Rendering with PhotoView 360with Gabriel Corbett1h 50m Intermediate
SOLIDWORKS: Sheet Metal Designwith Gabriel Corbett2h 56m Intermediate
1. Flywheel Design
2. Connecting the Rod, Piston, and Sprocket
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.