- [Narrator] In this movie, we're going to learn…how to change directories.…Now, the first thing you need…to know about changing directories,…is that you don't have to do it.…It's never necessary to change directories.…We can always work with either a relative path…or an absolute path.…All of the methods that we're going to work…are always going to work that way.…We can always pass in one of those paths…and it's going to be able to find the file.…An absolute path tends to be preferable…because it is absolute.…Once we define an absolute path…we know exactly where that file lies.…
Whereas a relative path will change…if we change directories.…So the moment that we start introducing…this idea of changing directories,…we introduce the idea that we might…break one of our relative paths.…But we can change directories…and it's used primarily as a convenience.…If you want to know what directory you're in currently,…you can use dir.pwd, that'll give us our path…of our working directory and you can change to another path.…So for example, here I'm defining a path…
- File system basics
- Writing to and reading from files
- Renaming, deleting, and copying files
- Creating and editing directories
- Working with common data formats
- ERB templating
Skill Level Beginner
Ruby on Rails 5 Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund10h 21m Beginner
1. The File System
2. Work with Files
3. Work with Directories
4. Common Data Formats
5. ERB Templating
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.