Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video The validates method, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Now that we've taken a look at the validation methods,…I want to show you another style for writing validations.…This is essentially a shortcut method for the validation methods that we just saw.…You'll sometimes hear the shortcut style referred to as sexy validations.…To see what they are, let's first take a look at a regular validation.…You can see that we have five…different validation methods all for the attribute Email.…We're validating its presence, its length,…the uniqueness, the format and the confirmation.…The validates method, wraps up all of these…validations on email, into one method call like this.…
Validates email and then a hash.…Presence length uniqueness formatting and confirmation.…Guess what it does for each one of those validations listed in the options hash.…It calls those regular, longer style validations that we just saw.…So, it's just a wrapper that we can use when…we need to perform several validations on a single attribute.…You can see why people refer to them as being sexy.…There's a lot less typing, and it's a lot clearer…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.