Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Working in the Rails console, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
The Rails console is a powerful tool.…It allows you to work with your models directly without having to worry about…the controllers and the views.…You can try things out, watch your models interact, and poke and prod them to see…if they do with they should.…Let's go to the command line and see how we can use it.…So here I'm in the command line. Notice that I'm in the root of my application.…That's very important.…You have to be in the root of your application to run the Rails console.…Before I start the Rails console, I'm first going to startup rib.…That's interactive Ruby that just comes with Ruby and I'll launch that.…I am just showing you that's basically just a calculator.…
1 + 1, but I can also call methods like "Hello".upcase.reverse.…Okay, so that again is just Ruby by itself.…Let me exit out of that and now let's open up Rails console.…Rails console. And now I have a shortcut.…I can also just type rails c and get the same thing.…I am going to type out the full long version instead of the shortcut.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.