Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Working in the Rails console, part of Ruby on Rails 4 Essential Training.
…The Rails Console is a powerful tool that lets us work with…our modules directly without having to worry about the controllers and the views.…The Console is a command line application, so let's…go to our command line so we can see it.…Before we take a look at the Console, I first want to remind…you that Ruby has something called irb, which is an interactive shell.…And if we have Ruby installed, we should also have irb installed.…We hit Return, it will put us into interactive shell.…And now we can input Ruby code like 1 plus 1, and it will return a value to us.…It works a lot like a calculator.…
But in addition to just having numbers, it…can also have other Ruby methods like "Hello".upcase.reverse.…The…Rails Console works the same way.…Type exit to get out of there.…And now to enter the Rails Console, you'll type rails space console.…You want to make sure you are in the…root of your rails application, otherwise it won't work.…There's a shorthand for it.…Instead of typing out console, you can simply type rails space…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.