Learn to use the popular web framework Ruby on Rails 4 to create full-featured, object-oriented web applications.
- [Voiceover] My name is Kevin Skoglund. Welcome to Ruby on Rails Essential Training. In this course we're going to learn this popular open source web development framework. We will walk through each part of the framework while we also cover best practices and real world web development techniques. We will route browser requests to controller actions that return dynamic page content. We will learn to interact with the database and to manage the database schema. We will walk through the steps that go into creating, reading, updating, and deleting database records.
We will discover how to work with relational database associations effectively. We will learn about Rail's built in helpers, form validations, and security protections. And throughout the process, we will gain practical hands-on experience by building a complete Ruby on Rails application; a content management system. Let's get started learning Ruby on Rails.
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.