…We've seen how controllers can either redirect or render a view template.…In this movie, I'd like us to take…a closer look at how those view templates function.…So far those view templates have been composed of only HTML.…We could use only HTML, but that's not dynamic or database driven.…Instead, what we want is to be able to embed Ruby code into our templates.…So then we can use that to put dynamic information into them.…And to do that, we're going to use ERb.…ERb is short for Embedded Ruby.…It's an eRuby templating system to embed Ruby code in our template files.…
You may remember that these letters were part of our template file name.…Hello.html.erb.…What that means is, we have a template named hello.…We're going to process that file with ERb.…And then when we're done, the final format will be in HTML.…There are other templating systems that you can install an use instead of ERb.…But ERb is the default that comes with Rails, and it's the most popular.…We can have different output formats too, not just HTML.…
- Why use Ruby on Rails?
- Installing Ruby on Rails on Mac and Windows
- Rendering templates and redirecting requests
- Generating and running database migrations
- Creating, updating, and deleting records
- Understanding association types
- Using layouts, partials, and view helpers
- Incorporating assets using asset pipeline
- Validating form data
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Architecting RESTful applications
- Debugging and error handing
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
13. Data Validation
14. User Authentication
15. Improving the Simple CMS
16. REST and RESTful Routes
17. Debugging and Error Handling
18. Introducing More Advanced Topics
Next steps1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.