Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Validation methods, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Validations give us a way to make sure that data meets a set of requirements…before it's saved to the database.…You can think of them as rules that we want our data to follow.…Now we could validate the data each time a form is submitted.…In other words, put that code in our controllers.…But that makes us so that the only way to validate the data is to go through one…of those controller actions.…We wouldn't be able to globally ensure that our data always follows the rules.…Plus we'd end up repeating ourselves in other controllers that need to update…the same database tables, and we don't repeat ourselves.…Instead, with active record validations we can define these validation rules in…our model just one time, and then they become part of the intelligence of the…model and can be automatically checked any time the model goes to save the data…to the database. And if the data doesn't follow the validation rules, the model…will refuse to complete the save, but also keep track of the errors that…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.