Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video Validating associated records, part of Ruby on Rails 3 Essential Training.
We've learned about the nine main validation methods for checking a model's data.…There is actually one more.…Only this validation doesn't check the model's data.…It checks the data of associated models.…In other words, it uses the active record associations like has many and belongs to, …to make sure that those objects that are related to an object are valid…before it considers the object valid.…You only really need to use it when you're going to be creating two or more…objects in one step and there's a real dependency between the two.…Let me give you an example.…Let's imagine that a user is going to create an auction for a car.…
The user fills out the auction details, like the minimum bid, and the car details,…like the year and the model and the color, all on one web form.…When they submit that form, we're going to need to save the auction to the…auctions table and it has one related car to the cars table.…We try to save the auction first.…It passes all its validations and it saves to the database.…
- Understanding MVC (Model View Controller ) architecture
- Routing browser requests through the framework
- Responding to requests with dynamic content
- Defining associations and database relationships
- Creating, reading, updating and deleting records
- Working with forms
- Validating form data
- Reviewing built-in security features
- Authenticating users and managing user access
- Debugging and error handling
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Ruby on Rails?
2. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Mac
3. Installing Ruby on Rails on a Windows Machine
4. Getting Started
5. Controllers, Views, and Dynamic Content
6. Databases and Migrations
7. Models, ActiveRecord, and ActiveRelation
9. Controllers and CRUD
10. Layouts, Partials, and View Helpers
12. Data Validation
13. User Authentication
14. Improving the Simple CMS
15. Debugging and Error Handling
16. Introducing More Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.